Screencastify to record audio and computer screen is a popular browser-based screen recording tool that was primarily designed to be used with Google Chrome.
It's commonly used by educators, business professionals, and individuals who want to create screen recordings or screencasts.
It is highly accessible and doesn't require any software downloads or installations. Instead, it is an extension that you can add to your Chrome browser.
Key features of Screencastify include:
- Screen recording: You can record your whole screen, a specific application window, or a particular browser tab. It also allows you to include webcam footage, either as part of the screen recording or as a separate video.
- Audio recording: You can record sound from a microphone simultaneously with the screen recording. This is especially useful for making instructional videos or presentations.
- Video editing: Basic editing tools are included. You can trim the start and end of your videos, cut sections from the middle, and add text overlays.
- Sharing: Recording file by Screencastify can be automatically saved to Google Drive, allowing for easy sharing. You can also directly publish your videos to YouTube, or download them to your computer.
How does Screencastify work?
It works as a Chrome browser extension, allowing users to record, edit, and share videos straight from their browser.
- Installation: First, you'll need to install Screencastify from the Chrome Web Store. Just go to the store, search for Screencastify, and click "Add to Chrome" to install the extension. You'll see the Screencastify icon appear on your browser toolbar.
- Set-up: Click on the Screencastify icon and follow the prompts to set up the extension. You'll likely need to connect it to your Google account (so it can save videos to your Google Drive) and give it permissions to record your screen and microphone.
- Recording: To start recording, click on the Screencastify icon in your browser toolbar. You'll be given options to begin recording your entire desktop, a specific application window, or a browser tab. You can also choose whether to include your webcam and microphone. Once you've made your selections, to begin recording, click "Record".
- During the recording: While recording, you can use tools to annotate your screen, like a focus mouse and a pen tool. You can pause and resume your recording at any time.
- Ending the recording: To stop recording, either click on the Screencastify icon again and select "Stop", or use the shortcut "Alt+Shift+S" to stop recording.
- Post-recording: Once you've finished recording, the video will automatically save to your Google Drive and open in a new tab for editing. Here you can trim your video, add text, and make other edits.
- Sharing: When you're done editing, you can share your video directly through Google Drive, upload it to YouTube, get a shareable link, or download it as an MP4, animated GIF, or MP3 file.
Can you use Screencastify for free?
Screencastify does offer a free tier of service. This version of Screencastify allows users to record an unlimited number of videos, but each video can be only up to 5 minutes long. Basic editing features are also available, and you can export the videos to Google Drive, YouTube, or download them onto your computer.
However, if you want access to more features and longer recording times, Screencastify offers a premium version. This usually includes perks like unlimited video length, more editing tools, and priority customer support.
How do I get Screencastify extension?
Screencastify extension is available on the Chrome Web Store. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to add it:
- Open Chrome Web Store: Start by launching Google Chrome on your device. In the address bar, type "Chrome Web Store" and press Enter. Click on the first search result to access the store.
- Search for Screencastify: In the Chrome Web Store, you'll find a search bar at the top left. Type "Screencastify" into the search bar and press Enter. You should see the Screencastify extension appear in the search results.
- Add to Chrome: Click on the "Add to Chrome" button next to the Screencastify extension. A confirmation box will pop up detailing the permissions Screencastify needs in order to function correctly.
- Confirm Installation: Click "Add extension" in the pop-up box to confirm the installation. Chrome will automatically download and install the Screencastify extension.
- Find the Icon: Once the extension is installed, you should see the Screencastify icon (a pinkish circle) in your Chrome toolbar, typically located at the top-right corner of your browser.
- Initial Setup: Click on the Screencastify icon and follow the prompts to complete the initial setup. This might include signing in to a Google account (to save your videos to Google Drive) and granting permissions for Screencastify to use your microphone and camera.
What is the purpose of Screencastify?
Screencastify is a screen recording tool designed for a variety of purposes, most commonly for creating instructional videos, presentations, and tutorials. Here are a few specific use cases:
- Education: Teachers use Screencastify to create instructional videos for their students, including lessons, tutorials, and explanations of assignments. It can be particularly helpful for remote learning or flipped classrooms.
- Business: Business professionals use Screencastify for training, product demonstrations, presentations, and for communicating complex information more clearly.
- Software Development: Developers and software companies often use screen recording tools like Screencastify to demonstrate how their software works, creating tutorials for their customers.
- Customer Support: Customer service representatives may use Screencastify to create how-to videos that demonstrate solutions to common customer issues.
- Personal Use: Individuals might use Screencastify for personal purposes, like recording a problem they're experiencing for a tech support forum, creating video content for social media, or capturing a video call or event.
- Feedback and Assessment: Both in educational and professional settings, Screencastify can be used to provide video feedback on assignments, tasks, or projects. It's often easier and more personal to speak feedback than to write it out.
The ability to record your screen, add voiceover, and easily share videos makes Screencastify a versatile tool for any situation where visual and audio instruction or demonstration is beneficial.
How do I record my screen?
Using Screencastify, you can easily record your screen. Here are the steps you need to follow to record your screen:
- Install Screencastify: First, make sure that you have the Screencastify extension installed on your Chrome browser. You can download it from the Chrome Web Store.
- Open Screencastify: Click on the Screencastify icon on your browser toolbar to open the extension.
- Choose Recording Type: A small window will appear with recording options. Choose between "Desktop" (your entire computer screen), "Browser Tab" (just the currently open tab in your browser), or "Webcam only" (no screen, just your webcam).
- Configure Audio and Video: You can also decide whether to turn on "Microphone" (for voice recording) and "Embed Webcam" (if you want a small video of yourself to appear in the corner of the screen). If these options are turned on, make sure the correct microphone and webcam are selected from the dropdown menus.
- Begin Recording: Once you've made your selections, click on the "Record" button. If you chose "Desktop", you'll get another popup asking whether to share your "Entire Screen" or a specific "Application Window". Make your selection, then click "Share".
- Recording In Progress: Now your recording is in progress. You can use the Screencastify toolbar (visible at the bottom of your screen) to pause/resume recording, erase, or use the pen tool.
- End Recording: To stop recording, either click the Screencastify icon in your browser again and select "Stop", or click the "Stop" button in the recording toolbar to stop recording.
- Post Recording: Once you stop the recording, it'll automatically open in a new tab where you can review it, make basic edits, and share it.
How do I record audio on Windows?
When you start a recording with Screencastify, you can choose to include microphone audio, and it will record whatever you say while also recording your screen.
Is Screencastify an app or extension?
Screencastify is primarily a browser extension for Google Chrome. This means that it operates within your Chrome browser and doesn't require you to download and install separate desktop software.
Once you've installed the Screencastify extension, you can click on its icon in your browser toolbar to quickly start recording your screen, a specific browser tab, or your webcam. You can also access editing tools and share your videos directly from the extension.
However, Screencastify also offers an app for the Google Workspace Marketplace that allows you to integrate Screencastify with Google Drive and Google Classroom for easier sharing and accessibility within those platforms.
Is screen catify a good screen recording software?
Screencastify is often considered a reliable and user-friendly screen recording tool. It's particularly popular among educators and professionals for a variety of reasons:
Ease of Use: Screencastify's interface is intuitive, making it easy for beginners to start recording, editing, and sharing videos.
Integration with Google Suite: Screencastify seamlessly integrates with Google Chrome, Google Drive, and other Google tools, which is a big plus for those who rely on the Google ecosystem.
Free Version Availability: Screencastify offers a free version that is quite functional, allowing users to record, edit, and share videos up to 5 minutes long.
Versatility: It allows for screen and webcam recording, as well as audio recording. There are also tools to annotate the screen during recording.
Direct Sharing: The ability to directly upload videos to Google Drive or publish them on YouTube can save time and steps.
However, Screencastify also has limitations, like the 5-minute recording limit on the free version, and the fact that more advanced recording features are only available in the premium version. Furthermore, as a browser extension, it may not offer as much depth or power as some standalone screen recording and video editing software.
In the end, whether Screencastify is a good fit for you depends on your specific needs and preferences. If you need more advanced recording features or longer recording times, you might want to consider other recording tools such as Stork that comes with built in screen recorder, can record audio with computer screen and share screen recordings directly and immediately into the cloud.
More info on Stork's free screen recording without limitations is available here. Additionally you may want to consider Loom, another excellent screen recording product that has limitations similar to Screencastify.
What can I do with Screencastify?
Screencastify is a versatile tool with several uses, particularly in education, business, and for personal productivity. Here's a list of what you can do with Screencastify:
- Screen Recording: You can record all or part of your screen. This is useful for demonstrating a process on your computer, showing how to use software, giving a presentation, or creating a tutorial.
- Audio Recording: You can record audio along with your screen recording, which is great for explanations, instructions, or commentary.
- Webcam Recording: Screencastify also allows you to record from your webcam. You can use this feature alone or in conjunction with screen recording to create a picture-in-picture effect.
- Annotations: During a recording, you can use the pen and highlighter tools to draw attention to certain parts of the screen. You can also focus the mouse to create a spotlight effect around the cursor.
- Trimming and Editing: After recording a video, you can trim away unwanted parts from the beginning or end. Premium users also have access to a more comprehensive editing suite.
- Exporting and Sharing: You can save your recordings directly to Google Drive, download them to your computer, or publish them directly on YouTube. You can also share videos with others by providing a link.
- Integration: Screencastify integrates well with Google Classroom and other Google tools, making it easy to share your videos in an educational or collaborative context.
This wide range of features makes Screencastify suitable for many uses, such as creating instructional content, sharing demonstrations, giving feedback, communicating ideas, and more.
How do you record on your phone?
Screencastify is primarily a Chrome browser extension, which means it's mainly designed to work on desktops and laptops where you can install extensions on the Chrome browser.